Carnivorous Plants/Drosera seeds

I looked in the pot with a magnifying glass and in a small patch of algae or maybe moss there is a light green piece a mm long, is that a seed sprouting?

Hello Dennis,

Without a picture I am unable to determine what you are seeing in your pot. It generally takes Sundews 2-6 weeks to sprout.

Just keep them moist and well lit and at normal room temperatures of between 70-80 degrees.

The last bit of advice is, just be patient. Plants do things at their own pace.

If you can, take a picture and add it in a followup so I can determine what you might be seeing.  

Carnivorous Plants

Christopher Littrell

I am capable of answering questions about the most common carnivorous plants found in cultivation. I have no personal experience with Byblis, Drosophyllum, Aldrovanda, and Heliamphora. I have not cultivated gemmae forming pygmy sundews nor tuberous sundews. For information regarding those aforementioned species, I would suggest contacting other experts. I can answer questions regarding most species of Nepenthes, tropical and temperate Drosera, Mexican Pinguicula, Sarracenias, and Dionaea. I have some limited experience with growing Utricularia, Cephalotus, and Darlingtonia.

I have grown carnivorous plants off and on for about 27 years. I have made the same mistakes and suffered the same mishaps that many growers make as they attempt to separate the myths from the realities of growing these plants. Currently, I am successfully growing a variety of tropical sundews, a Nepenthes, several Venus Flytraps of varying ages, and Sarracenias. I have been successful in stratifying Sarracenia seeds and providing artificial dormancy requirements for my temperate plants when needed.

I hold a Master's degree in Educational Psychology. Over my lifetime, I have constantly read books involving the growing conditions of carnivorous plants. I hope to incorporate the educational aspects involved in psychology with teaching other people how to cultivate carnivorous plants.