Carnivorous Plants/Pots

Question
I am planning on making some pots out of wood. I know you can't use clay pots, so do you think wood would be alright?

Answer
Hello Teal,

You can use clay pots with carnivorous plants, however; the issue would be that they would likely dissolve slowly when submerged partially in water since many carnivorous plants are bog plants.

I have tried wooden tray shaped containers, but I lined them with plastic. They can work. Wood is a neutral substance and would provide support and containment for the soil. The main issue would be drainage and water retention. Just make sure that the containers you use have holes to provide plenty of drainage and water circulation when watering.

Over time, the wood will likely break down due to submersion in a tray of water. You will need to change containers over time anyway, so this will likely not be a major problem. The main issue is that wood does contain some nitrogen that, over time, will be released as it breaks down. The nitrogen level is low, so will not pose a major problem for carnivorous plants if you change out the pots and soil completely about once every year or two.  

Carnivorous Plants

Christopher Littrell