Carnivorous Plants/Squirrel Problem

With spring approaching, are there any pointers you can give on how to keep the squirrels away from my flytraps and other small plants?

Last year they trashed 5 of my plants, and I almost have up on getting any new outdoor plants.

Hi John,

Squirrels are tough, but here's a couple suggestions.  First, see if any neighbors are feeding them and see if they would be willing to stop.  When I had this problem we had a neighbor that was feeding them Hazelnuts, so they would bury them in my pots.

Another thing that worked some for me was sticky stuff.  I made a little barrier with fly paper one time on a pot that helped.  Mouse sticky traps are another option.  Setting little booby traps like wood mousetraps can help too.  The thing with squirrels is that they are so intelligent, you often have to change tactics because they figure out work-arounds.

If you're willing to create a safe zone around your plants, an electric fence could work too.  I had a neighbor in SW Portland who was fighting raccoons, and his solution was the electric fence.  He had a beautiful Japanese water garden, and they would trash it.  He set up an electric fence using bamboo stakes with little insulators to hold the wire.  He said every night around 9:00pm he and his wife would hear a big yip as a new raccoon would find the fence.  Fence chargers can be purchased at feed stores or online.  They make many solar models.  They use high voltage, but low amperage, and pulse, so they won't kill stuff.

Hope this helps.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!