Carnivorous Plants/Winterizing

I have ordered a Venus flytrap and a Pitcher Plant. I looked at the care guides about winterizing your plants, but said nothing more. I have a blanket and during the night I am thinking about covering it. Will that work? Please reply,

Hi Jaxon,

It really depends how cold you're getting in your area right now.  If your nights are only in the 20's, and you're above freezing in the day, a light covering is all you would need.  Temps in the teens and single digits, and not getting above freezing during the day, you need to bundle them up with some good covering.

Having said that, however, being in Kansas, you're going to be either USDA zone 5 or 6, so I know you can get really cold.  In addition, you tend to have lots of wind.  This can be deadly to plants in pots that would otherwise be hardy in an in-ground planting.  If you were having temps in the single digits combined with wind, a simple covering would probably not be enough.

Since you only have a couple plants, here's the simplest thing to do.  When you get them find a cool, preferably North facing window in your house.  Right now you don't want them in a hot sunny window because they need to stay dormant about another month.  A cool window combined with the short days will hold them dormant.  Be sure to check and make sure their soil is staying damp, but not waterlogged.  When you start seeing new shoots trying to form, move them to a sunny window.  Once frost danger is mostly past, they can then go outside for the season.  Resist the temptation to leave them in the window permanently.  They'll never quite achieve their full potential in that location since they won't get enough sun.

Next fall you can consider if you want to fully winterize them to spend the winter outside, and make a cold frame for them.

We have a detailed section in our volume #1 DVD on winterizing plants, and what that looks like.  Since you're a new grower, the information there will really help you avoid the pitfalls so common to new growers.  It gives you a detailed course on growing North American carnivorous plants.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!