Carnivorous Plants/Abnormal growth

This spring I ordered a flowering size S. Alata for my bog garden. When I received it, it had a flower bud forming but it was soon aborted by the plant. Over the summer it has only produced about ten one to tree inch tall pitchers. None of them have opened. I ordered several other sarracenia which I also planted by it in the bog. They are all doing good so I'm not sure what is causing it to not produce regular size pitchers while the others are.

Hi Russell,

Do you happen to know if the plant was a recent division from a larger clump of plants?  Did it come from us?  If it was, and the flower was not clipped off, that would easily cause the stunting you saw.  If that was the issue, next year it should look much more normal.  

Another factor could have been your weather.  Was Indiana cooler than normal this summer?  If it was then S. alata is often affected.  They like a hot summer.  All of them originate in the Gulf Coast whereas many other Sarracenia are found a bit further North, and in slightly cooler regions.  Cools summers tend to have the biggest effect on S. alata, S. leucophylla and some S. minor forms.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!