Carnivorous Plants/Cephalotus yellow leaves

I have a cephalotus that has been dying, and then seemingly recovers. It starts with leaves and or traps turning yellow and then brown, almost all the foliage dies back, and then just when I think it is done for, I see a little bit of green, then it will grow and look healthy for a couple of weeks and the cycle starts again.

It is in a terrarium, under four CFC bulbs, potted in a peat/sand mixture. I am careful not to over water.

Any help you could give me would be appreciated

ANSWER: Hi Nicole,

Are you seeing any powdery mildew on the leaves?  Do you have a photo?

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Thanks for the quick response. I don't see anything that might be a fungus. I took a couple of pictures .. this is the best of them.

You can see that there is quite a few new pitchers forming, but they get as big as the one that is yellow and ... turn yellow.

I am beginning to think there may be something funky with the soil and I should repot it.

Thanks for your help

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for the photo.  What's the temperature in the terrarium?  How far are the bulbs from the plants?  This looks a bit like sun bleaching from bright conditions combined with high temperatures like you sometimes see in greenhouses.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!