Carnivorous Plants/Containers for Cephalotus and Darlingtonia

Plastic Pots Aquatic
Plastic Pots Aquatic  
Hi Jeff, Jacob,

as you mentioned in your DVD´s, Darlingtonia needs cool roots, and Cephalotus a good drainage.

Some suggest to use terra cotta pots to ensure a good evaporation and therefore cooling of the soil.

However, I was thinking if plastic pots for aquatic plants with a grid like structure would be ideal too to ensure good cooling/air circulation and also drainage?

Thank you for your comment.

Hi Jean-Paul,

I've used these from time to time, but unless you're doing some type of pond setting, I find them to be more trouble than their worth.  They tend to have problems with too rapid of drying, exposing roots, etc...  They are made for aquatic plants, and that is what they are best for.  If you were putting some Sarracenia on the edge of a pond, or some Darlingtonia near a water feature, they would be fine, but not so much for general growing.  They would be totally inappropriate for Cephalotus since they need a sandy soil media.  Terra-cotta pots are best for them.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!