Carnivorous Plants/Dionaea rhizome growing deeper

Hi Jeff, Jacob,

one of my dionaea is growing deeper and deeper into the pot...

Should I unpot her in early spring to that she sits higher again, or let it be and the will usually grow traps that lay on the ground, whatever the deepness of the rhizome?

Merci et bon weekend!

Hi JP,

Unless you were going to re-pot the plants in this pot anyway, the flytrap is fine.  That is their normal growing habit.  Wild plants look exactly like this.  Some Venus flytrap varieties will always have traps on the ground such as "Low Giant", but they normally go through a seasonal cycle.  Early spring and fall they tend to have ground hugging traps.  Mid-summer they produce the upright traps.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!