Carnivorous Plants/Drosera Regia continue questions

Hi, Jeff, I am starting another question thread because the last one would not allow to do more follow up questions. As you suggested, I got a 12 inch terra cotta pot from lowes with a tray. I also bought 3 cubic feet of sphagnum peat moss. That was the only size they have without the fertilizer. I still have about 4 quart left over perlite from when I got it for my pitcher plant, venus fly trap already died, and 2 other cape sundews also already died. My pitcher plant is still alive. I read one of your answers about potting mix that you have good experience on 2 perlite to 1 peat moss ratio. If that's the case, I would need to buy more perlite as it doesn't look to be enough for my 12 inch pot. And I did some research that this plant likes light soil. Should I get more perlite, or I should use what I have? I estimate it would be 50/50 ratio if I use the perlite I have with the peat moss to fill the pot. I plan to locate this plant at my big kitchen window that is around 9 feet long. However, I like to turn my window blinds down for privacy reason and to avoid too much sunlight, but there is still some sunlight that seeps through the blinds facing downward.  Would this be enough sunlight for this plant? Should I open up the blinds more for more sunlight to shine through? Thanks for answering all of my questions.

Hi Rickey,

Get the extra perlite.  Drosera regia does like a lighter soil.  What this does is help cool the roots and provide more aeration.  Another mix that works well for this plant is what we use for our course mix is 1 part clean sand, 2 parts perlite, 1 part peat moss.  We use this for plants that don't like their soil as wet such as Cephalotus, Drosophyllum and Mexican Butterworts.

On the sunlight being enough through the blinds, not a chance.  You will need to either put the plant on the other side of the blinds, leave the up, or find a different location.  90% of sundews are full-sun plants.  Not providing not enough light is the #1 reason new growers fail with carnivorous plants.  Even myself as a 30+year veteran doing this I find myself getting sucked in by things I read occasionally, but I've always found it's better to err on the side of too much light than too little.  I can say that indoors through windows, there's almost no such thing as too much light.  Glass blocks 80-90% of UV light plus dozens of other variables.  For every window that actually might be two bright, people will have 10 windows that won't provide enough.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!