Carnivorous Plants/Can you identify these two Sarracenias for me?

Sarracenia 1
Sarracenia 1  

Sarracenia 2
Sarracenia 2  
Hi, could you be so kind to help me to identify these Sarracenias? Thanks in advance!

Hi Alejandro,

The first one looks like a type of Sarracenia flava atropurpurea hybrid of some kind.  Because of the thin pitchers and the appearance of the smaller pitchers I would say it's a hybrid with Sarracenia rubra gulfensis which could easily be a natural hybrid.

The second is definitely a type of S. x excellens (Sarracenia leucophylla x Sarracenia minor).  This one you have really looks like a cultivar called "Loch Ness" which was originally produced by Adrian Slack in England back in the 1970's.  Adrian Slack wrote two books on carnivorous plants, was the owner of Marston Exotics nursery.  His information was what turned me around into being successful with carnivorous plants back at a time when most of the available information in the US was nothing but myth and misconceptions.  I still refer back to his books to this day.

Here's a very good resource for ID that I use often:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!