Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes browning

Browning leaves
Browning leaves  
QUESTION: Dear Sarracenia northwest,
I have acquired a new nepenthes on Wednesday . I live in Cleveland Ohio, I put the nepenthes under a 18 watt compact fluorescent light in the day and I switch it to a red/blue 3 watt led light at night, I turn it off every day at 10 pm. However, the edge of the leaves turn brown and on another developing leaf, the tip of the shoot is a light brown color. Is this bad?
         Sincerely, John

ANSWER: Hi John,

The growing tip is out of focus, but they do have a dense fuzz that looks brown as new ones develop.  I can see a darkening on the leaf edges, but this may just be from your lights, and could easily be normal coloration.  Since you've only had your plant a short time, it's very common for they to go through a transition when moving to a new home, and going through shipping.  You need to give your plant a few weeks to adjust.  Is this N. truncata?

Why are you using two different lights?  Also, how far away is the CFL from the plant?

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: It is a n. poi dog # 65 and I use 2 different lights because I simulate afternoon and evening. The light is about 14 inches away from the plant.

Hi John,

That's fine.  I was wondering if the CFL might be too close, but it doesn't sound like it is.  18 watt is also fairly small.  A CFL too close can cause some burning from larger units.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!