Carnivorous Plants/Sarracenia ID

is it possible to ID these two sarracenias? I've purchased these from you guys last year during a bare-root sale.

Hi Jad,

The first one I would say is an S. alata x oreophila hybrid.  The second is a S. x "readii", which is S. leucophylla x rubra.  Which rubra I can't really tell.  This is a naturally occurring hybrid, so hundreds of clones exist.  I could probably do a bit better on the I.D. except your plants are so pale.  They need much more sun.  Sarracenia have about the same sun requirements as Tomatoes and other vegetables.  The very green color along with the big wings are dead giveaways.  They should be getting no less than 6 hours of direct sun on a sunny day.

Another care note.  Even though Sarracenia want lots of sun, be cautious about having them right next to a building in full sun.  The reflected heat is often too much for even the best sun lovers.  I've seen cacti burn in this situation.  Try to have them more out in the open.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!