Carnivorous Plants/Terracotta Pots

Terracotta Pots from Italy
Terracotta Pots from I  

Normal Terracota Pots
Normal Terracota Pots  
Hi Jeff, Jacob,

as we all know, Darlingtonia grows best into terracotta pots.  

Today I went to the store, looking for such. I found large ones, as it should be. However, there are also Italian terracotta pots, they are more porous. Should I go with these since they are more porous?

Terracotta is best for cephalotus, drosophyllum and byblis, right?

Nice weekend.

Hi JP,

You probably just need to evaluate which ones will hold up the best.  I've never used the Italian pots, so I don't know if they are more brittle or are likely to start chipping quickly.  You may just need to experiment.  The regular ones are more than porous enough to give the cooling effect.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!