Carnivorous Plants/Cephalotus Wintercare/Outdoor

Temperatures Cologne Week 47
Temperatures Cologne W  
Hi Jeff/Jacob,

hope you guys are doing well!

I have a cephalotus outside for dormancy... First of all, Cephalotus, dormancy yes or no? I read that they donīt necessarily need it... How do you think? I just keep it at same conditions as my dionaea and sarracenias during winter, they stop or slow down in growing and come back in spring...

Whatever, these days we get new night lows temperatures, hitting 2-3 C° more far we rarely had less then 5 C°. Do you think I can keep the plant outside if below 0 C°? As far as I know it can stand "some" cold temperatures, however I am afraid that it might be to cold in the end!

Thank you guys for your advice!

Regards from Germany,

Hi JP,

I don't recommend having a Cepahalotus outdoors for your winter.  My experience has been that they can handle a light frost, but they don't do so well with extended cold periods.  They grow in a Mediterranean type climate which can have frosts from time to time, but they have mild warm days during the winter with short rainy spells.  Germany is going to be too cold.  Every time I've tried to overwinter one here in the U.S. in the Pacific Northwest, I've lost them.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!