Carnivorous Plants/Dionaea dormancy

So, in the instructions on the care sheet I received today (thanks again for the great packaging), it said that it's OK to bring your Flytrap out of dormancy early, and grow it inside like other carnivores until spring for the first year, if you live in zones 7 or colder.  Does that mean that I can grow it like a tropical sundew just for this winter, starting now, or that I should give it a dormancy this year?
Thanks for your time,

Hi John,

"Does that mean that I can grow it like a tropical sundew just for this winter"

No.  Bringing it out of dormancy early would mean around the end of February, which is in some years is when they can start growing in nature.  Here in the Pacific Northwest they usually start coming out of dormancy around the first of April.  If you don't give Venus Flytraps at least two solid months dormancy (and your plant is dormant right now if it came from us) they tend to shoot up flower stalks prematurely, often doing vegetative apomixis, which is where they grow a plant on the flower stalk.  When that happens the mother plant usually dies.  Even if that doesn't happen you can often see a slow decline in them which is what usually happens if they are kept at room temperatures all winter.  They then slowly rot out.

If you keep the plant in the 30's and 40's combined with natural daylight hours it will stay dormant.  If your location is too cold for overwintering outside (Ellensburg, WA?), then a cold North window will often do the trick.  When the days lengthen it will get the photoperiod clues to start growing again.  When you see those new signs of growth, then it will be time to put it in a sunny, warm location.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!