Carnivorous Plants/Flowering Flytraps YES OR NO?

Hi Jeff !

I hope you are doing good and plants do grow well !

As every day, when I am thinking about carnivorous plants when office time allows, I make up my new questions to you, as an expert that answers very accurately and fastly.

So today I am more devoted into seeds, and I would like to have your opinion regarding dionaea pollination! I have 3 good looking plants, now dormant, and I am thinking to pollinate two of them next spring.

However, as you might guess, on the web and in books one can read many different opinions about letting dionaea flower. Some say “cut it off as soon as you see the flower stalk popping out”, others say “just leave it”, or some say “I pollinate and have no problems with my plants!”.

I guess that the flower does cost energy to the plant, and may reduce the number of traps for the season, however I don´t know about this. What is your experience? And does flowering really “might kill” a flytrap? I can hardly imagine it! Also how is it if several flower stalks are produced? In my view, nature and evolution haven´t created the flytrap with several stalks wanting to produce just to kill the plant in the end. Also the seeds, to me are not seeds that would be “transported naturally“ for long distance.

Overall, it would be nice to have your opinion about pollinating flytraps. I am curious to read and might give a try next spring!

Merci and have a nice day!

Hi JP,

Here's where having had many years of experience really helps.  If you ask growers who have been growing Venus flytraps for many years, you'll find that many of us let out flytraps bloom.  Here's what makes the difference.  A young plant, or especially one of those poor mass marketed plants in a "Death Cube" are weak, and don't have very big rhizome, so not much in energy reserves.  So on young plants, cut flowers off.  Older plants are different.  If you have a well established plant that has been growing for a couple years + you can let them bloom with no problem.  We also cut off flowers if a plant has had some recent disturbance such as transplanting.

The same concept I talked about above also applies to Sarracenia and many sundews.  Always cut flowers off on Sarracenia that have just been divided, or seem a bit small to be blooming.  Certain kinds of stress can cause plants to bloom.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!