Carnivorous Plants/LED Growlamp

Bonjour Jeff, Jacob,

have you heard about LED Growlamps?

They have blue and red LED, apparently the wavelength of plants to grow and flower properly...

Have you had any experience with these? I am thinking to get one to grow seedlings over the winter and to bring up more light to the highland Nepenthes I just brought back indoor due to colder temperatures.

What I wonder about is that the lamps are "only" about 12W. Does it matter? Is the Lux value more important or the length of waves?

If these lamps are not good enough, how about T8 "Grolux" tubes from Sylvana? I own a 150W HPS for my lowland terrarium, however these get very hot and consumption is quite high. I was looking for something "cooler" and less demanding in watts.

Thank you for your comments.

Have a nice weekend,

Hi Jean-Paul,

We haven't used LED lighting enough yet to give any useful information.  We are just starting, and by the end of next year we should be able to talk more about what is working for us.  LED is a much more complicated affair currently because of so many different spectral outputs and power outputs.  Many of the full sun growers such as sundews are likely to do well as long as they are bright enough.  For most cp lux intensity are way more important than specific spectrum.  Nepenthes, however, are much more tricky since they seem to exhibit some sensitivity to spectrum and day length.  They often won't pitcher if things are not to their liking.

If you're wanting to use traditional plant lighting such as fluorescents or HID, that is tried and true.  With fluorescent lighting T-5 high output fixtures will give you the best "bang for the buck" (or Euro :), but regular T-8 and T-12 fixtures work just fine.  If you have some T-8 fixtures use standard Cool-White, which I think are 5200K.  "Daylight" tubes are fine also.  I've used Gro-lux in the past along with many other plant spectrum tubes, but didn't find them to be of any advantage.  They cost more, and in many cases have a lower lumen or lux output.  Carnivorous plants need it bright, so you want intensity.  T-5 lights need to be roughly 31 cm and T-8 about 10 cm.  You have to watch plants and make adjustments accordingly.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!