Carnivorous Plants/Neem Oil

QUESTION: Hello guys, is this one safe for our plants?

ANSWER: Hi Jason,

That product should be just fine.  It will be just fine on Sarracenia and Nepenthes, but maybe test it on one or two plants when first using it on more delicate sundews and butterworts.  Sometimes the "Other Ingredients" can have compounds plants don't like.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: Thanks, which one do you use. Could you provide a link?

Hi Jason,

This is the one we have used,, but it's no longer available.  I've used some different ones over the years, and you just have to test them on the sensitive plants when you get a new product.  I don't trust anything at first.  I just know from experience that some products are likely to be just fine, and that tough plants like Pitcher Plants are not likely to have a problem, and the small, delicate stuff might.  You just never know until you try it.  I've not had problems with Neem products, but it's not worth damaging or killing a valuable plant, so I always test it on some less expensive stuff first.  What are you trying to control?

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!