Carnivorous Plants/Non-sphagnum moss mulch for Nepenthes

Unidentified moss
Unidentified moss  
Hi Sarracenia Northwest,

I have a few pots of Nepenthes that have 3 parts coco husks to 1 perlite as their growth medium. I notice that the surface dry out quite fast (the average daytime humidity is 45%, and nighttime 39%), so I have been looking for sphagnum moss to mulch the top in order to increase the immediate humidity and better retain moisture. I could not find any nursery here in South Africa that sells fresh nor dried sphagnum moss. However I recently obtained a bag of dried florist moss from a nursery. The problem is, the moss is not sphagnum moss, it has needle pine like leaves (see attached image). I soaked the bag of moss overnight in rainwater and they seemed to have rehydrated and freshen up. I scoured the internet for information regarding alternative moss as mulch for CPs but couldn't find any. My question is, will the use of non-sphagnum moss as top cover brings any harm to the Nepenthes plants?

Many thanks,

Hi Winson,

As long as you are only using it as a top-dressing you're probably fine using some decorative mosses.  If you are actually incorporating it into soil media, that is a very different matter.  Sphagnum has some very unique biochemical properties, and is often found in carnivorous plant habitats.  Other common forest mosses don't have the water holding properties, and the same pH as sphagnum, so they are to be avoided for those uses.

You could easily order sphagnum online, and check garden centers that carry products for orchids.  They often carry it.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!