Carnivorous Plants/P. grandiflora vs. fungus gnats

Hello Jeff/ Jacob-

I was cleaning dead leaves from my P. grandiflora resting buds when I noticed a few fungus gnat larvae around the buds. Are they a treat to the actual resting bud during dormancy or are they just a threat to roots during the growing season?

There isn't an infestation, just a few that I could see.

Thank-you for your help.

Hi Neil,

For small fleshy plants like butterworts they can be a problem if the infestation gets to high.  The simplest way to deal with them is to use water that has had mosquito dunks in it.  This releases a bacteria in the water that kills the larvae, but it totally harmless to the plants.  One dunk soaked in a standard watering can for a couple days will contain plenty of the bacterial toxin and kill of your gnat larvae.  You should also water other plants such as any houseplants with the solution since these little nasties love to breed in soil.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!