Carnivorous Plants/White Fuzzy Mold

I have some white mold growing on my soil, and some of it is on the pitchers of my smaller seedlings.  The mold looks like the stuff in this person's picture:

Is this harmful to the plants?  My plants are indoors, under a grow light that is really bright which they love, and are sitting in a tray of water.  Could it be an airflow problem?  I sprayed with this fungicide just now:

Hi David,

This mold is a frequent problem in homes, especially during the winter.  The spores are in the environment, and they germinate on the moist peat.  It won't hurt the plants at first, but if you get too much of it, it can be harmful.

Here's some things to do.  Some ventilation does help.  Also, try to top-water the soil more.  That helps wash away mold spores before the germinate.  I've also found that if you can get your growing area up away from the floor that helps since more spores can be on the ground.  Windowsills can also harbor spores, so sanitizing a sill can help too.  The Daconil fungicide you have is quite effective too.  Combine that with the cultural things I mentioned, and it should help.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!