Carnivorous Plants/winterizing

I live in Pittsburgh Pa.  I am growing Sarracenia "Scarlet Belle","Tarnock",and "Yellow Jacket.  I am not sure how to over winter them!  My intial thought is to bring my tube into the garage and cut back on the amount of water they are getting.  My garage is unheated.  I have four tubs.  If I were to leave them outside what would be my options?  I believe I read something about wrapping them in flannel then mulch with, straw I would use, about 4 inches deep!  Help!!!
Thank you,
Clarkie Penney

Hi Clarkie,

Since you only have three plants having them in the garage is probably the best option for this winter.  You mention tubs, so I'm assuming those are your water trays.  Just keep the plants damp, but not waterlogged while they are in the garage.  Clip off any dead or dying foliage, and spray with a sulfur fungicide.  Since they are going to be inside in a mostly dark area, the fungicide is important as they will get some mold.  Getting rid of the dead material helps with that.  Also, watch your temperatures in the garage during severe cold spells.  Potted Sarracenia will tolerate up to a week in the teens when they are not being dehydrated by wind, but if you have a very long cold spell like last winter, you might want to find a way to get the temperatures in the garage into the upper 20's.

In your area outdoor winterizing takes more preparation, and the things you mentioned are part of that.  We go into detail about how to do that on our volume #1 DVD with demonstrations.  Here's information on that:  Here's more information that's very helpful:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!