Carnivorous Plants/Cephalotus follicularis growing in Texas

Hello Jeff and Jacob,

I have recently been looking into getting a Cephalotus follicularis and I noticed you have some listed. I have been digging around on the internet about growing them outide and from what I understand it can be done in Zone 9. I live in San Antonio Tx and from the usda zone maps I have been looking at indicate the it is Zone 9 but others say it is zone 8b. What exactly is the difference? I was just wondering if it could be possible to gro them outside year round down here.

Hi Garrett,

Most likely you could have Cephalotus outside in San Antonio during the winter.  Whether or not your Zone 8b or 9 may be a bit academic; what is the coldest you've ever seen it get there?  That's the question you want to ask yourself, because that is what the USDA climate maps are based on.  Cephalotus will take brief, and I stress brief, frosts down to around 28 degrees.  Where Cephalotus comes from in SW Australia it is very similar to Central California in climate.

Having said all that, there is no way Cephalotus would handle a San Antonio summer outside.  They are not very heat tolerant at all.  We get warm days in the summer here in Oregon and it can be in the 90's in the greenhouse, but it cools down to the 50's at night.  I'm guessing you don't have that luxury in Texas.  A Cephalotus will be far happier in an air conditioned house.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!