Carnivorous Plants/Cutting off flytrap leaves

QUESTION: Should I cut off my flytrap leaves before they go into dormancy? They are going to be in a north window in a garage.

ANSWER: Hi John,

In a sheltered area like a garage just cut off any longer leaves.  Leave about 3 small traps.  This is normally what we see here in our plants naturally in a Zone 8 climate.  Monitor your temperatures in the garage.  As long as it's above freezing in there it's of no concern.  If you get into a hard cold snap, and the garage temperatures are below freezing for a long time, they you should put some mulch on top of the plant to minimize dehydration, or remove the rest of the leaves.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: The tray of water freezes on very cold days.  Should I worry?  Should I cut off the leaves?  I live in Zone 6A, but it seems more like zone 7.
Thanks a lot,

Hi John,

The water freezing in the tray is a given.  If the garage is normally above freezing, leaving just the few winter leaves like I described before is fine.  Flytraps do some photosynthesis during the winter, so leaving a few leaves is good for them.  If you think the plant is going to be frozen for long periods, then removing all the leaves would be the better option.  I don't know your specific weather patterns, so you have to make a call on that.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!