Carnivorous Plants/Dormancy

Hello guys

Im from Puerto Rico and I got this sarracenia purpurea and darlingtonia "cobra plant" and they are growing very good so ....we are in december should I pit in my refrigerator to dormancy or what ?  Should I leave it in the pot ? And I got this other ginormous fly trap really big and still growing what should I do ?  It doesnt matters if they are growing to put them hobernate now ? This plants gets 16hours of light t5ho

Hi Gabriel,

What I would do with your plants right now is drop your photoperiod down to the equivalent of here on the mainland.  This site will be helpful:  It will be more effective if you do it somewhat gradually over the month until you get it to what you see on this page.  If it's possible to keep the plants cooler that will help.  Once you have the plants at that 9-10 hour day, it would be helpful if you put the flytrap and Darlingtonia in the refrigerator at night.  That would probably be enough, and it is similar enough to what would happen in nature.  The S. purpurea should be fine without doing that.  Clip off leaves that brown up, which should happen with the shorter days.

I don't have as much direct experience with inducing the dormancy period in the tropics, but we've talked to friends in Hawaii, and they say Sarracenia do fine since Hawaii does experience a change in daylight hours.  Venus flytraps slow down and die if they don't get a dormancy, and I don't know anyone there that has tried Darlingtonia.  They're hard enough to keep alive here.  Here's a resource that should be helpful.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!