Carnivorous Plants/nepenthes

QUESTION: the nepenthes i got doesnt grow pitchers anymore, i got it before 2 months and pitchers it had died, the plant itself is still growing but the pitchers stay in their place without house is in an apartment so sun only comes in from one side, and i dont have other choice than keeping it behind the window. so with or without sun it keeps on dying. i feed it once a month. what else can i do so it rows pitchers?

my nepenthe sis like the one in the pic

thank you :)

ANSWER: Hi Yousef,

In understanding Nepenthes, here some things that are absolutes with them:

1.  Adequate light is vital for pitcher production.  Making pitchers is very energy intensive.  Not enough light = no pitchers.  The plant should be getting around 3-4 hours direct sun through a window.  If you can't do that, you either need to ok with just having a big leafy plant with no pitchers, or willing to consider adding artificial light.

2.  Nepenthes hate disturbance.  They like things nice and boring.  Moving them around too much, excessive misting, transplanting, sudden temperature or humidity changes (this is why misting doesn't help them) will all cause them to stop making pitchers.  Having a plant where air such as from air conditioning blowing on it will also cause that excessive disturbance.  You want to get the plant set up in a spot it will remain and get the light it needs whether that is natural or artificial, and leave it there.  I have folks all the time that ask why their plant is not producing pitchers that are either playing the "move it here, move it there" game, or they are chronic misters.  Once your plant is in a spot where it can stay, water it normally, but leave it alone for at least 2-3 months to decide if that spot will work.  Nepenthes are not plants for the impatient gardener.

Try putting these concepts into action, then see how the plant does.  Keep your feeding/fertilizing like you've been doing.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: should i put any random light for it? or there is specific one to use for it? other than that 40 watt one u mentioned in your website. anything from those LED lights?

ANSWER: Hi Yousef,

We are just starting to use LED, and it will take us about a year to determine how well they are working.  Initial results look good.  The best thing to do is do a web search and explore.  There are a dizzying array of LED grow lights out there right now, so you should see what has good ratings, and what is in your price range.

One thing we've discovered already is that they are more intense than they might seem at first since they don't always look super bright compared to white light traditional plant lights such as Metal Halide or Fluorescent.  Definitely go for ones that are a mix of the red and blue diodes since those are in the maximum photosynthetic range of plants.

If you combine an LED light with some window light, that should give you very good results.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: can this be good? in the picture. i keep it under this LED light  for daytime. this light is too bright but gives a little bit o heat. i can only set it too close to the plant as u see in the picture, there is a small window next to the plant it doesnt give much sunlight, but passes a bit of daylight to the plant. should i change anything?

Hi Yousef,

That light should work.  You may need to adjust the distance based on how the plant seems to be responding to it.  We are finding that LED lights can be very deceiving since they are very bright, but give off no heat.  We've burned a few leaves just from super high intensity.  Your light isn't that strong, but if you see a brown spot develop on a leaf directly under the light, move it back a little.  Start fairly close, however.  Light intensity drops off quickly.

You will need to give the plant at least a month to let it adjust and see how it does.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!