Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes X Amazonias Help

The entire plant
The entire plant  

What use to be the growth tip
What use to be the gro  

My Nepenthes X Amazonias which I bought from you guys a few months back has all of the sudden lost all of it's leaf. What's even more strange is that the leaves died from the center of the plant from the old leaves to the growth point. When I notice that the stem and the where the leaves come out from turned brown and start feeling mushy, I immediately uproot the plant and discovered that the leaves (including the growth tip) was rotting away from the stem. I then pulled of all of the leaves and sprayed the entire plant with a sulfer base fungicide that you guys recommended, gave it new soil and pot and then bagged the pot. Now I'm just hoping for the best. And my question is, did I save my plant on time? Will the plant grow again from the roots or the main stem? Or should I take some root cuttings in case the plant does make it? Any tips to help keep the plant alive until it recovers?

Hi Ken,

I'm afraid your plant is very dead. :(  Once you see stem rot on a Nepenthes the roots are already gone.  We've lost a couple of these recently too.  Just based on what I've been seeing in our lowland truncatas, this seems to be a Nepenthes that likes being a bit on the drier side, and likes very consistent temperatures.  They seem to do better in a courser soil media, adding more course ingredients to the sphagnum to increase soil aeration.  Plants tend to do well in the summer when it's very warm and they are growing more rapidly, but can develop root rot easily when it's cooler in winter, and days are short.  Since all the parents in this hybrid are lowlanders, keeping the plant no cooler than 65, with warm days really seems to help prevent this.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!