Carnivorous Plants/sarracenia fiona

QUESTION: i have a sarracenia fiona and now its growing a flower. can you please tell me what to do for the flower so the seeds inside it can grow new plants? because last year i kept it as itself and seeds were a fail.

thank you :)

ANSWER: Hi Yousef,

In order to get viable seeds, you have to have at least two different flowers to cross-pollinate.  If you only have one flower, the only thing to do is enjoy the beautiful flower.  The stamens produce pollen at a different time that the stigma is receptive in Sarracenia, and they don't self-pollinate well at all.  Here's some more detailed information:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: is it okay if i pollinate it with other type of normal plant? because other sarracenias still ddnt flower

Hi Yousef,

Plants have to be fairly closely related genetically to be able to hybridize that way.  If you cross-pollinate it with another variety of plant nothing would happen.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!