Carnivorous Plants/cephalotus follicularis

Hi, please tell me if I do something wrong, my first cephalotus, growing in a 6" pot under fluorescent light for 16 hours/day. it is growing in 33%peat, 33% perlite, 33% silica sand with an 1/4" layer of silica sand on top, I have it now for 2years and it is growing beautiful, about 5 pitchers are 3/4" in size and there must be about 10 more pitchers from tiny to maybe 1/4" in the centre of the plant with the bigger pitchers sitting on top, the plant does not spread out but sit in the centre of the pot in a biggish clump of about 2" in diameter, I would like them to spread out and fill the pot, I use rain water to just damp, would appreciate your advice, thank you- Helmut

Hi Helmut,

It sounds like you're doing everything correctly, and your plant is growing just like Cephalotus does.  What you're seeing is why they tend to be expensive, and larger plants tend to be very expensive when you find them for sale.  They grow slow, period.

You can give it a bit of a boost by feeding it some.  An easy way to do that is to take some dehydrated or frozen blood worms, put them in water, then suck some up with and eye dropper and put them in larger pitchers.  Once a month is fine for this.

Even with feeding, they don't grow very fast.  If they did you would see them on our website much more often. :)

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!