Carnivorous Plants/Drosera Capensis (Red) leaf twisting

Twisted leaf
Twisted leaf  
I live in Phoenix, Arizona (zone 8) and have just received my sundew (Drosera Capensis, Red Leaf) in the mail last week.

Upon arrival, I immediately repotted my sundew in a mix of 50/50 long fibered sphagnum and perlite.

I only use distilled water on this plant and have kept it outdoors in direct sunlight for a minimum of 6 hours  a day.

I bring in my sundew every night since my backyard is always brightly lit at and find it practical to have this plant (as any other) exposed to a dark period.

After a week, my sundew has produced a significant amount of dew on most of its leaves, though my concern is some of the leaves are slightly twisting to the point of being almost sideways.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you. :)

Hi Tony,

With Cape Sundews, pay little attention to lower leaves.  As plants grow they cycle through them, and the lower ones become a dead skirt around the plant's stem.  If you have brand new leaves looking twisted, especially developing ones, that is usually a sign of aphids and you would need to treat for that.

You might want to start thinking now about a place for your plant as it gets closer to summer.  It will be too hot outside in Phoenix for a Cape Sundew, so a sunny window in the house might be a consideration.  Once your temperatures are consistently in the upper 90's it might be time to move indoors.  Also, it's best to find a spot for your plant and leave it.  All plants, not just carnivorous plants, hate being moved around too much since this something that never happens in nature.  It's doubtful that the outdoor lights are going to be too bright; the plant will still get it cues.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!