Carnivorous Plants/Flytrap and a light

What about flytraps in this light . They can go well ?
What about flytraps in  
Hello Sarracenia

So... I bought this burpee light you that you recommended  and put some CP so I can have a collection close to me when Im working...anyways...I want to know what about flytraps with this light it would be okay? I Know that we cant compare sun  to a 6500k 32watts bulb and they are in grow what do you think about thus light and all this plant togeter ..14hours of light at day. The question is... flytrap can survive well with this light ?

I have in this light:
Pinguicula-doing great looks very happy
Drosera (intermedia?) looks super happy
Drosera Capensis- looks good. Turning a litle red with green:/
Flytraps-Kinghenry, ginormous, normal and res deagon :)
Drosera- filiformis (hibernacula) (is in dormancy)

Hope soon a can get t5ho lights

Hi Gabriel,

Your Venus Flytraps will do ok for a season.  They won't be as red, but they'll do ok.  Your biggest hurdle will be how to give them a dormancy next winter.  T-5 lights will give you much more flexibility since your collection is growing fast.  We usually force some flytraps out of dormancy this time of year under a bank of T-5's and they look great by May.

I know I've asked you this before, but is there no way for you to have an outdoor growing area?  Your Venus Flytraps and Drosera filiformis would look so much better that way.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!