Carnivorous Plants/Green moss

Green stuff
Green stuff  
What is this moss growing in my sarracinia pot and the water? Also what is the white stuff. will it damage my plant? How do I remove it?

Hi Eric,

The white stuff is some mineral accumulation from naturally occurring minerals in the peat moss.  In small quantities it's not harmful, but you can leach it out my doing more top-watering with purified water, or let the pot get rained on more.

Peat moss just carries lots of moss/algae spores in it, so these will start to grow over time.  It can be unsightly, but it's not a big deal.  With the tray, just empty it more frequently to keep it cleaner.  When its starts growing on the soil media it's not harmful unless it gets thick, and it takes quite awhile for that to happen.  By the time it does, it's usually time to re-pot the plant anyway.  If you don't like how it looks, just scrape it off.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!