Carnivorous Plants/mexican butterwort

hi i got a butterwort at lowe's it was in a gubbler deathcub it was in moss and it had little root.i heard that they can stay too wet. can you help or give some tips on how to care for them.thank you so much!

Hello Joseph,

Mexican Butterworts can be overwatered if they are placed in a pot with a tray watering method. They do not like stagnant water standing under their roots for lengths of time. When watering, just provide enough water to moisten their pot, like you would a typical houseplant. When you see some water draining from the holes in the bottom of the pot, stop watering. Just add water every few days to keep their soil moist, but never damp. If you allow their soil to dry out too much, they will begin a dormancy phase that could take 3-6 months to break.

Mexican Butterworts like partial or indirect sunlight. Either have them as houseplants in a morning sun window or under florescent light, or place them under an awning or screened in patio where they will have some shade and partial light from morning or evening sun. Butterworts in general will burn quickly in direct sunlight.  

Carnivorous Plants

Christopher Littrell

I am capable of answering questions about the most common carnivorous plants found in cultivation. I have no personal experience with Byblis, Drosophyllum, Aldrovanda, and Heliamphora. I have not cultivated gemmae forming pygmy sundews nor tuberous sundews. For information regarding those aforementioned species, I would suggest contacting other experts. I can answer questions regarding most species of Nepenthes, tropical and temperate Drosera, Mexican Pinguicula, Sarracenias, and Dionaea. I have some limited experience with growing Utricularia, Cephalotus, and Darlingtonia.

I have grown carnivorous plants off and on for about 27 years. I have made the same mistakes and suffered the same mishaps that many growers make as they attempt to separate the myths from the realities of growing these plants. Currently, I am successfully growing a variety of tropical sundews, a Nepenthes, several Venus Flytraps of varying ages, and Sarracenias. I have been successful in stratifying Sarracenia seeds and providing artificial dormancy requirements for my temperate plants when needed.

I hold a Master's degree in Educational Psychology. Over my lifetime, I have constantly read books involving the growing conditions of carnivorous plants. I hope to incorporate the educational aspects involved in psychology with teaching other people how to cultivate carnivorous plants.