Carnivorous Plants/Oreophila repotting issue.

This is my first overwintering of my carnivorous plant collection that i started last spring.  I decided to repot an Oreophila that i acquired from a local grower.  The problem is that the rhizome seems to have been growing down into the pot and not along underneath the surface.  Think of its orientation sort of like a tobacco pipe and the growing point is the bulbous end for tobacco.  I re-oriented the plant when i repotted it so that the rhizome is correct but the growth point of the plant is angled now from the surface of the soil..  Will the plant correct itself when growing this spring or will all of its pitchers form at a sideways angle?

Hi Chad,

The pitchers will grow correctly.  What you're seeing is not unusual.  When we unpot older plants we see rhizomes growing every which direction, and it happens in nature too.  It's a result of the growing shoot encountering some kind of obstruction, sometimes even older parts of the rhizome, then it tries to grow around it.  Once the rhizome is not obstructed in anyway, the leaves will grow up.  Plants send leaves and shoots up in response to something known as gravitropism.  We even have a very annoying thing happen all the time in our Sarracenia pools where a pot gets knocked sideways from wind, and we don't see it.  If it's allowed to grow, the leaves grow upright, often at 45 and 90 degree angles to the pot, rendering the plant totally unsellable that year.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!