Carnivorous Plants/Perlite

Hey Jacob, Jason here. Just curious about something I saw in the Savage Garden.  Peter talks about perlite being somewhat alkaline.  So he said no more than 20% should be used with the peat moss. What is your opinion?  I have been using a little more than the 50 50 combination here for more water flow and cooling.  Anyway, just wondering you thoughts.

Hi Jason,

This really depends on where your perlite comes from, and how that manufacturer produces it.  Here in the Northwest, our perlite comes from Supreme Perlite in Portland, and most of our rock in this area is igneous.  They probably use pumice, granite, silica sand or other high silica rock as their base.  I've tested Supreme perlite a couple times (I've read the same thing you did in a couple other places too) and it is neutral.  However, I know you have a major manufacturer in Chandler, AZ that I've seen from some suppliers, and I don't know if their perlite is neutral or not.

What I would do is take some of your perlite and soak it for 24 hours in a container of distilled or RO water.  Test the pH of the water.  If it's above 7, then Peter's advice is probably good.  If it's 7 or below in pH, then it won't matter.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!