Carnivorous Plants/Pesticide

I would like to know if The insecticide safari 20 is safe to use on Venus flytraps, sarracenias, and sundews. I am having an aphid out break in my sunroom and I use Safari on my orchids. I am bring some new CP's out of dormancy and I have noticed aphids on them.

Hi Dave,

I have no direct experience using this insecticide on carnivorous plants.  Often products that are safe on orchids are safe on Nepenthes and Sarracenia, but more delicate plants like sundews and flytraps often need to be tested for safety.  You could try it on a couple plants, and wait a few days to see how they respond to it.  If it doesn't harm sundews, most likely it's going to be safe on Sarracenia.

What I do know about Safari is that it's a powerful systemic agricultural pesticide not available to the home consumer through regular gardening outlets.  It has a very long life in plants, so does provide long-term protection.  It's also very toxic to Honey Bees.  We had an incident here in Oregon a year ago where a landscape company sprayed Safari on some Linden trees in bloom in a parking lot near here and the trees killed thousands of bees.  It caused the state dept. of Ag. to pull the product even for agricultural use until it could be evaluated more.

Aphids can usually be controlled easily with a less powerful product such as Neem or Pyrethrins.  If you just have few plants, you can also wash them off under water.  Here's a link to our podcast on insecticides:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!