Carnivorous Plants/Repotting Nepenthes

Hello! Right now I have a large mother plant of a Nepenthes alata growing in an 8 inch pot. I have had it in this pot for about 2 and a half years now. Over the years, it has produced many "babies" and offshoots that have sprouted out of the pot and now it's getting pretty crowded. Those offshoots have now gotten pretty large to almost the size of the original mother plant, and now mother plant has begun to vine so it's become a long, tangled mess. I want to repot and divide my Nepenthes but currently it is in a very sunny south window that gets lots of direct sun during the winter and it's producing a ton of pitchers. I want to repot it, but would repotting and dividing hurt it's current rapid growth? Would the plant's health be affected and stop growing pitchers? thanks

Hi Victor,

Unfortunately, you're always going to get some shock when you repot Nepenthes because of their delicate roots.  You can minimize the shock by soaking them for 15 minutes in a Superthrive solution, but they will still stop pitchering for a time after transplant.  The good news is that is is a really good time of year to do the transplant since the days are getting longer.

On a separate subject, you mentioned dividing.  You can't really divide Nepenthes the way you do Sarracenia.  Even though it may look like you have separate plants in your pot (It's possible you do have separate plants if the original nursery put multiple plants in the pot), usually it's just offshoots from under the soil.  If that's the case they don't have their own root systems, and you would need to treat them as a cutting.  Since your plant is very long, however, this would be a good time to take cuttings since you're going to disturb the plant anyway when you transplant.  We have a chapter in our volume #3 DVD on taking Nepenthes cuttings.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!