Carnivorous Plants/Soil and some stuff on the leaves

Drops of clear stuff
Drops of clear stuff  

What is the clear drops of liquid on my nepenthes leaves. When I touched it it was sticky and when I licked it, it was sweet. Also should I replace the soil that it's in and whats the white stuff?

Hi Eric,

The drops are nectar that Nepenthes make to attract ants and other insects.  However, it can also indicate early stages of either a Thrip or scale attack.  It would be good to get a hand lens and look carefully to see if you see any tiny, long-bodies insects, or little raised bumps on the undersides of leaves.  The two most common scale insects that Nepenthes get are soft brown scale which just look like little brown raised bumps that squish when you push on them, or white hibiscus scale that look like powdery white bumps in groups.  If you find any of these pests, you'll need to spray for them, and treat any other Nepenthes or houseplants you have.

The soil in this pot is coarse peat moss which big nurseries use sometimes.  It's simply sphagnum that hasn't broken down all the way into peat moss.  It looks fairly fresh, so there's no hurry on transplanting.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!