Carnivorous Plants/soil and Terrarium

Question
I was told a Terrarium was a breeding ground for mold and not to make one.
Even if I steam the media in the microwave is it still a bad idea?, cause what I planed to use has a hinged lid and plenty of ventilation slots for air to get in and circulate.

Answer
Hello Dennis,

The only time you really need a terrarium is for plants that simply are not able to adapt to lower humidity levels. Overall, most carnivorous plants tend to do well as houseplants in open pot or outside as garden/potted plants according to sunlight and environmental needs.

Terraria are closed spaces that do not have much provision for water drainage, air flow, lighting, and simply do not allow insects to get to the plants easily. Even indoors, carnivorous plants will attract and capture mosquitos, flies, ants, and gnats on their own if they are open pot.

Even with air vents, you would need a fan to circulate air to create enough air movement to lessen the incidence of mold and algae spores growing. The spores are in the air as well as in the soil. You will greatly reduce the number of spores in the soil by steaming it, but some will always find a way in later.

Small sundews can do well in terraria if you can meet their needs, but they will do even better open pot with less trouble on your part.  

Carnivorous Plants

Christopher Littrell