Carnivorous Plants/Black spot

Fungus ?
Fungus ?  

Blackspot from nowhere can you please help me. I dont know if is bad or what. This flytrap are in the burpee light that you recommended 14 hours of light. 32watts 6500k bulb

Thanks Jacob

Hi Gabriel,

I have good news.  There's nothing wrong with your plant.  This is simply an older leaf that is slowly on it's way out.  Often when adjusting to new conditions this happens.  Overall your plants look great.  That Red Dragon would make many people envious.  If you're not already, it might be time to feed your flytraps a bug or two.  Nothing too large; a fly or other small insect would give them a boost.  You're already getting nice big traps, a little food will really make them grow.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!