Carnivorous Plants/Raised bed for carnivorous plants

I see that at your nursery, the plants are kept in large tubs. I am thinking about installing a raised bed, lining it with plastic, but am concerned about excess water rotting the plants. I grow mostly hardy pitcher plants and Venus fly traps. I live in Zone 8, in Tigard, Or. I was hoping to get some info from the DVD series, but did not get what I was looking for. It's a great series and was very helpful for some other questions I had. I'm looking forward to getting some new species for my collection.

Hi Roger,

Depending on how deep you plan on making your raised bed, you can just put drain-holes in the bottom.  When you have a large volume of soil, the water tray method of watering isn't always needed since the peat holds on to lots of water.  You just need to be more diligent in the summer about watering the bed.  You can also put holes about 3-4 inches down the sides in the plastic so some water stays in the bottom, but the plants are not waterlogged.

One caution with raised beds.  If the bed is going directly on the ground, be sure and put something like chicken wire across the bottom to keep moles from getting up into it.  Also, I wouldn't put any Darlingtonia (Cobra Plants) in a bed directly on the ground.  They are very prone to Phytophthora fungal root rot, and ground water seepage can facilitate this.  They need to be in something elevated, or on a concrete surface.  Other cp species are not affected by this.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!