Carnivorous Plants/Red dragon

Red dragon
Red dragon  

Red dragon
Red dragon  
so ... this baby I bought from you guy...well  is growing really well..I think ...see the picture to corroborate ;)
My question is if I cut the flower stalk or or should leave it grow and take the seed? I do not want to weaken the plant as just come out of dormancy. So please I need an advice lol. The plant are doing well with the burpee light that you recommended 32watt and 6500 k . 14hr of light

Thanks again and hope to buy more from you soon!

Hi Gabriel,

Since this plant is young still, cut the flower off.  However, wait until the flower stalk is up a few inches before cutting.  If you do it too soon the plant will produce more, and that really has a weakening effect.  I like to do it when the flower buds get more pronounced.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!