Carnivorous Plants/Regia

Hey guys, Jason here. Question about Drosera Regia. Mine our growing well with good color and dew production. My wonderment is about them getting root bound.  I have two in a 12 inch pot and the older one seems to be being overtaken by the younger.  Even though the stalk on the older is larger the new leaves appear to be getting smaller. Again it has very good color and dew and is catching insects. Could this be getting root bound? By this time last year the plant was bigger.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi Jason,

It's possible.  King sundews are such big plants that they can outgrow pots readily.  A 12" pot is pretty good sized, however, so this may be nothing to be too concerned about.  If the new shoot is from the same plant, it may just be shifting energy over to the newer growth, and plants do that at times.  If you transplant it, you might be able to separate them into two plants.  We do it all the time.  You get the largest plants when you have single growing stalks.  Every other year seems to be a good schedule for transplanting regia.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!