Carnivorous Plants/Squirell Repellent

What methods of repelling squirrels are safe for carnivorous plants?  I see several ideas on the net, including spraying Tabasco sauce, but I have no idea which are safe, and last year they ruined 5 plants, including 2 flytraps.

Hi John,

I'll start by saying there is no one quick easy answer for dealing with squirrels.  They are very intelligent, and can quickly outwit barriers.  Here's some suggestions.

First, see if any of your neighbors are feeding them.  Often the squirrels have little interest in the plants themselves, but are burying nuts in the pots.  They just don't care what they have to dig up to do that, and the soil in cp pots is nice and soft.  If you can get folks to not feed them close-by, that helps.

Netting can work if you really secure it well, and use something more substantial.  Bird netting is too flimsy, but something like chicken wire would work.  It would require building a cage around the plants.  Works great, but not the best looking.

Tabasco won't really work since they are usually not eating the plants, just digging them up.

I've had some success with sticky things.  Those sticky mouse boards, or stringing flypaper does work, it just doesn't last long in the rain.  If a squirrel gets a mouse board on it's foot, it will take it a bit to get it off, so they tend to remember that.

Although a bit expensive, Scarecrow sprinklers may be a serious consideration.  These are motion controlled sprinklers that detect movement, and turn and aim at them movement shooting water.  Here's a link:

Hope this helps.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!