Carnivorous Plants/Wilting Sarraccenia

wilted sarraccenia
wilted sarraccenia  

wilted venus fly trap
wilted venus fly trap  
Hi!  I am a newbie at CP and purchased two Dionaea Muscipula and two Sarraccenia from a nursery.  I am in Scottsdale, AZ.  They were in those dome pot things, so I repotted them in a terra-cotta pot with a mixture of coarse sand and "green moss" and watered with RO water.  I placed them in the late afternoon sun for about an hour and they are very "wilty", especially the Sarraccenia.  Should I be doing anything else and will they be all right?  Thank you!

Hi Petra,

After plants have been packed in those little cubes, the leaves are very weak from excess humidity and lack of light.  The best thing you can do is cut them off.  In time the plant will start to grow more from the rhizome, and the new leaves will be adapted to the lower humidity and normal sun conditions.  Your Venus flytrap looks ok, but also cut off any leaves that start wilting.  What this does is cut off transpiration so the plants can recover.  Make sure the pots are always sitting in a small amount of water.  Most carnivorous plants are bog plants.

The soil media should be a half and half mix of peat moss and sand or peat moss and perlite.  Avoid the green moss you have on them.  Carnivorous plants grow in or among sphagnum bog mosses which are very different from the decorative green moss which is from the sides of trees.

Here's a link to our page on care of these plants:  Both of your plants are in the cold-hardy category.  After looking at these consider taking a look at our volume #1 DVD.  It is a full course on growing North American carnivorous plants and can help you avoid the pitfalls so common to new growers.  In the DVD we don't just tell you, we show you how to do what you need to grow these plants.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!