Carnivorous Plants/Alfred Lau

QUESTION: Hello guys, Jason here. I have a ping. Gigantea and my wonderment is why is it not getting bigger.  It is in peat and sand. The plant does have good dew production.  It was bigger last year but it shrunk and now it's just sitting there.  I fertilize it every two weeks. I ask this because it sits next to a Alfred ping I bought from you and it's getting bigger every week. They are under the two tube light set up as shown in the dvd. I also have capes and Venusta in there and they look perfect.  Any thoughts?

ANSWER: It's possible that it's going dormant.  It's not unusual for plants to do this in an artificial situation, such as indoor growing.  Without seeing what your plant looks like, I can't confirm this, but it's certainly a possibility.  

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Ping Gigantea
Ping Gigantea  
QUESTION: Here you go Jacob. The one in question on the left and the Alfred on the right.

Well, the problem is that you got your plant from another nursery!  All kidding aside, the soil mix looks like it's peat based, which makes it a bit more acidic.  Only you can confirm if it's peat based since I can't confirm it through a photo.  Mexican butterworts prefer slightly alkaline soil, which is why we use a very course mix with perlite and sand.  There is some peat (25%) for water retention, but overall it's quite granular.  

It may be that it's time to plant your gigantea into fresh mix.  The peat may have broken down sufficiently that it's slowing down the growth of your plant.  Since you're fertilizing, use Grow More brand.  They produce a fertilizer for indoor plants.  This one has calcium, which will help keep the soil alkaline.  Pings love calcium.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

UPDATE: I should have read the text attached with your photo.  Yes, it's in a mix of peat and sand.  The ratio might be 1:1, which is a bit too high in peat for the butterwort.  You can use peat and sand, but increase the sand, may be 3:1.

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!