Carnivorous Plants/Cape Sundew

Question
Cape Sundew
Cape Sundew  
My Cape sundew's older leaves are becoming red starting with splotches on the green leaf and are no longer producing dew, is this a normal thing? Should I cut those leaves off? - Growing in Miami, Florida 8+ hours of sun per day

Answer
Drosera capensis prefers mild conditions.   They occur naturally in the coastal mountains of South Africa where they get bright sun and cool daytime temperatures.  A hot day for them is 80.  

Your plant is showing the typical signs of heat stress.  We see this in our own plants during the summer months.  To encourage your plant to produce more dew, move your plant to a sunny window in your home.  This will protect your plant from the intense South Florida sun.  Try an east window with several hours of direct morning sunlight for best results.

Please note that you might not see dew production on the existing leaves, depending on how much sun damage the leaves have experienced.  (The red splotches are symptoms of sun damage.)  You might need to wait to see new growth before your plant produces dew again.  There's no need to cut off the existing leaves.  Keep them on until they turn brown completely.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest