Carnivorous Plants/Cape Sundew

Cape Sundew
Cape Sundew  
My Cape sundew's older leaves are becoming red starting with splotches on the green leaf and are no longer producing dew, is this a normal thing? Should I cut those leaves off? - Growing in Miami, Florida 8+ hours of sun per day

Drosera capensis prefers mild conditions.   They occur naturally in the coastal mountains of South Africa where they get bright sun and cool daytime temperatures.  A hot day for them is 80.  

Your plant is showing the typical signs of heat stress.  We see this in our own plants during the summer months.  To encourage your plant to produce more dew, move your plant to a sunny window in your home.  This will protect your plant from the intense South Florida sun.  Try an east window with several hours of direct morning sunlight for best results.

Please note that you might not see dew production on the existing leaves, depending on how much sun damage the leaves have experienced.  (The red splotches are symptoms of sun damage.)  You might need to wait to see new growth before your plant produces dew again.  There's no need to cut off the existing leaves.  Keep them on until they turn brown completely.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!