Carnivorous Plants/Drosera

QUESTION: I was planning on buying a hardy sundew and the climate I live in is extremely hot and and dry so I keep all my plants in clay pots to keep there roots from getting too hot an I was wondering if I buy a plant from you guys if I should give the plant time to accommodate to the new climate or if I could transplant it as soon as it gets here.

ANSWER: Yes, you can grow some forms of hardy sundews in clay pots given your climate.  However, avoid Drosera rotundifolia and Drosera anglica.  These plants won't survive the constant heat.  Drosera intermedia, Drosera filiformis, and Drosera tracyi are your best bet.  Get your plants in early spring (such as now) so that they can acclimate to your climate before it gets too warm.

We also cover the growing of carnivorous plants in desert regions in our Volume 1 DVD.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

QUESTION: I bought drosera filiformis intermedia is that a good pick for a desert and for the clay pots? And it's going to be verry windy outside all this week so when I get it will it be ok to place it out side even if its windy?

ANSWER: Hi Alberto,

Did you mean D. filiformis x intermedia?  This plant should do fine.  It will go dormant before the end of summer in a hotter climate.

Protect it from wind.  Depending on your current temperatures, in Texas it will be going into near summer conditions by comparison to here in Oregon.  We are just starting to see a few days in the 70's. You'll need to give it time to adapt to the new climate, and recover from shipping.  It'll love the sun, but won't like hot, dry wind.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: Will I have to shelter it from the wind every time or only as it acclimates ?

Hi Alberto,

It just depends how windy the location is that you're thinking of putting it in.  If the spot is just mildly breezy you're probably fine.  However, if the location is subject to strong wind, that isn't a good location for carnivorous plants, and lots of other plants for that matter.  Since I don't have a good sense of what your location is like, this is one of those situations where you have to use your judgement.  You may need to find a spot that is a bit more wind sheltered.  This is something gardeners have to do all the time.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!