Carnivorous Plants/My Drosera Aliciae

D. Aliciae
D. Aliciae  
I bought last thursday Drosera Aliciae from garden center. It looks good, and its live in my balcony. I put it direct sunlight. Is it good or do i put it in a shady area?

Hi Aapo,

You definitely want the plant is direct sun, in a very sunny window.  With just a couple exceptions, and this plant isn't one of them, sundews are full-sun plants.  They do very poorly and usually die if in too much shade.  D. aliciae is from South Africa and is a sun lover.

Once the plant has had more sun you should see the red color darken, and mucilage production increase.

For general information on tropical sundew care see our caresheet pages:  Also consider taking a look at our volume #2 DVD.  It can help you to understand sundew and butterwort basics, and help you to avoid the mistakes so common to new growers.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Hei Aapo,

Et varmasti halua kasvi on suorassa auringonpaisteessa, hyvin aurinkoinen ikkuna. Vain pari poikkeuksia, ja tämä kasvi ei ole yksi niistä, sundews ovat täynnä-su kasveja. Ne eivät erittäin huonosti ja yleensä kuolevat, jos liikaa varjossa. D. aliciae on Etelä-Afrikasta ja on sun rakastaja.

Kun kasvi on ollut enemmän aurinkoa sinun pitäisi nähdä punainen väri tummentaa, ja liima tuotannon kasvu.

Yleistä tietoa trooppisten sundew hoito katso caresheet sivut: Myös harkita vilkaisemalla myyntivolyymimme # 2 DVD. Se voi auttaa sinua ymmärtämään sundew ja butterwort perusasiat, ja auttaa sinua välttämään virheitä niin tavallista uusia viljelijöitä.

Hyvä kasvaa!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!