Carnivorous Plants/Drosera Regia

Question
Showing base
Showing base  

Whole plant
Whole plant  
I have this plant for about a week now(Got it at that PACNWRS show)and now it's not doing too well...
The base of the leaves are turning brown along with the tips.
The new growth seems okay though so I am wondering if this is just a transitional stress?
It's growing with my other highland plants... day time temperature (this past week) has been about 75 and night time about 55. I I am making sure it's not sitting in water and only watering it lightly. The light is on for 14 hours a day.
What do you think it might be?

Answer
Your plant seems to be showing classic signs of sudden exposure to very bright light.  While your temperatures seem fine, I'm not sure about your lighting.  The only thing you mentioned is the hours.  Lighting factors that can cause leaf damage include high lumen output and proximity.  We grow our tropical sundews mostly with natural sunlight, which allows our plants to acclimate to windowsills according with the seasons.  If your lighting system is unnaturally bright for this time of the year, you will need to acclimate the plant.  (Though this advice is a bit after the fact, this is something to consider when adding plants to your collection during the off season.)

The new growth coming up in the center seems perfectly normal and healthy.  It will be a few months before you have a new set of leaves that are acclimated to your growing conditions.  For now, keep the other leaves in place.  The damage is permanent, but your plant can still use them for photosynthesis.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest